Company Details Restricted To Members
About AIMS The Australian Institute of Marine Science is Australia’s tropical marine research agency.
We are a trusted advisor, a partner and employer of choice, and we value integrity, innovation, collaboration and respect. AIMS’ research of Australia’s tropical marine ecosystems guides their effective environmental management and contributes to our understanding of similar ecosystems around the world.
Our research seeks to deliver practical benefponsit to all Australians and supports the sustainable use of our tropical marine estate. Governments, reef managers, industry and the wider community look to our high-quality, long-term research for informed decisions about our iconic Great Barrier Reef, North-West Shelf, and Arafura and Timor Seas. AIMS expert teams at our locations in Townsville, Darwin and Perth have access to world-class infrastructure, unique datasets, cutting-edge laboratories, and a fleet of modern research vessels.
About this exciting opportunity Joining the NT Coastal Marine Ecosystem team who are working to deliver coastal marine research in benthic and fish ecology, oceanography, molecular biology and toxicology, your role as a Research Scientist Benthic Ecology NT will be to lead the collection and analysis of scientific knowledge on the coastal and oceanic benthic communities in Northern Australia. This role is a significant contributor to creating economic, social and environmental benefits for marine industries and coastal communities, achieved by working closely in partnership with local stakeholders and Traditional Owners.
As an experienced research scientist, you will draw on your knowledge to apply new survey methods to enhance the collection of benthic community data in turbid and remote northern Australian waters and assist with the development of systems to improve public access to datasets. This role contributes to the delivery of taxonomic and spatial data interpretation and the communication of scientific findings through various methods including reports, conference presentations and scientific publications. The role will additionally build relationships to attract external research funding and execute research projects that contribute to the sustainable use of the marine estate.
About you You will have a PhD in Marine Science or Ecology or extensive hands-on experience in benthic ecology, coupled with your experience in the identification and ecology of tropical benthic communities (spatial ecology, patterns and drivers of biodiversity, population dynamics) and proven capabilities in experimental design and statistical analysis of ecological/biological data sets. You will be confident executing experimental design in the field, and able to manage challenges as they arise.
Your experience will reflect your capability in managing and actively working over the entirety of a project lifecycle, from concept design to consultation, including scientific outputs and societal impact. And your excellent interpersonal communication skills, and ability to foster innovation and collaborative relationships will be a must. Previous undertaking research and field work experience in Northern Australia with First Nations People would be highly desirable.
Apply now and join a world leading organisation with attractive working conditions. In line with our Enterprise Agreement, the successful candidate will be rewarded with:
- AIMS AOF Level 5 salary ($113,275 to $124,181 per annum) plus 15.4% superannuation
- Full-time, Permanent opportunity
- Located in Darwin (NT)
- 9-day fortnight
- Flexible Work Arrangements considered (including tele-working where possible)
- Generous leave provisions
- Optional Fitness passport
- Relocation assistance available
- Non-Australian Citizens must hold an appropriate Visa with working entitlements that allows paid employment with AIMS for the term of the appointment, depending on the relevant Department of Home Affairs current policies. AIMS may be able to consider sponsorship for international applicants for this role, however, please note that visa processing times can impact the ability for AIMS to consider sponsorship for vacancies. AIMS must meet the requirements of the Department of Home Affairs immigration policies and processes, including the necessity to test the local labour market for suitable applicants. This includes international talent pool members who are Australian visa holders who have relevant working rights.
- It is a requirement of this role that you are and remain fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Please note the sighting of proof of vaccination will be required as a pre commencement requirement.
Next Step Further information about this exciting and challenging opportunity is outlined in the Candidate Information Pack which is available to download from our website, www.aims.gov.au. If, after reviewing the position description and selection criteria included in the Candidate Information Pack, you believe that your qualifications, experience and professional capabilities will enable you to successfully the deliver the position responsibilities, we encourage you to make an application via our website.
Submitting your Application: Please ensure that you have your completed documents (selection criteria responses, resume and cover letter) ready to attach to your online application form via our e-recruitment system
Register Your Interest In A New Life In Australia
If this role isn’t quite what you are looking for but a Sponsored job in Australia is still of interest. Click here to upload your resume and register your interest with our Australian Recruitment Partners