Can I Include My Family On My 482 Visa?

You may be wondering if you can include your family or your partner on your 482 Visa application? The good news is that you can! You can include your family on your 482 visa at any time as long as your visa is valid

Like many Australian visas, you can include your dependent children and your spouse in this visa as dependence. So being dependent, your family members don’t really have to fulfil any other requirement other than meeting health and character requirements (no criminal records) and be a family member of you.

The only thing that we have to keep in mind, especially if applying as a family unit is to stay in the same place when lodging the application.

So, for example, if you are lodging this application onshore in Australia, your family members will have to also be in Australia, or if you’re lodging your visa application offshore then all of the family members, including the main applicant will have to stay outside of Australia at the time of your lodgement.

What If My Family and I are in different countries?

So, how do you fix this If your family is back home and you are currently residing in Australia?

What you would need to do is first apply as the main applicant and get the visa granted. Then, once you have been granted your 482 Visa, you can apply for a subsequent entrant for all the family members who are residing outside of Australia.

Your spouse or de facto partner can be inside or outside Australia at the time of applying to be added to your visa.

Can I add my partner to my 482 Visa after it’s been granted?

Yes, you can, you can include them in your original 482 Visa application, or they can be added to your 482 Visa after it has been approved. It’s important to note that de facto partners must be able to demonstrate at least six months of cohabitation in a genuine relationship. 

It doesn’t matter that your visa has already been granted (unlike Permanent Residence visas where partners cannot be added once the visa is granted). Your spouse or de facto partner will be granted a visa with unrestricted work rights, which will expire on the same date as your visa.