Your pathway to living and working in Australia.
Can a 482 Visa Lead To Australian Permanent Residency

Can a 482 Visa Lead To Australian Permanent Residency?

It’s all well and good being sponsored to live and work in Australia however once settled here in Australia there’s a good chance that you will want to live in Australia permanently.

Can a 482 Visa Lead To Australian Permanent Residency?

Thankfully, there are pathways to apply for Permanent Residency on a Medium-Term TSS 482 Visa:

Applicants on a 482 visa have a pathway to permanent residency through a visa type called the Employer-Sponsored Temporary Transition Stream (ENS/RSMS). This visa lets skilled workers, who are nominated by their employer, live and work in Australia permanently.

If your occupation is on the Australian Medium Term list then this is an avenue that could be open to you.

Unfortunately, if you apply under the short term stream, then there is no direct permanent residency pathway

The transition from a 482 Visa to PR

To progress from a 482 Visa Lead To Australian Permanent Residency you will need to meet a number of criteria.

  • you have worked for the same sponsor for three years on your TSS visa;
  • you have worked in the same occupation for three years;
  • you have Competent English (at least 6.0 in all parts of IELTS or an equivalent test score, unless you are exempt. This is in contrast to the English requirement for the 482 visa which is an IELTS level 5 equivalent);
  • you have been paid at least the salary confirmed with your 482 application;
  • you are under 45 years of age at the time of lodging your permanent residency visa.

Your employer will need to lodge a nomination on your behalf before a visa application can be made. This nomination will outline the nominated occupation, terms and conditions of employment, and the financial viability of the nominating business.

Employers must also detail how the position came to be available and justify the need to nominate you.

Can I get Austrlian PR if my occupation is on the Short Term Occupations List?

Unfortunately, if you have a TSS/482 visa obtained through the short term stream then you will not be able to transition to Australian permanent residence.


  1. Jairo Ruiz

    Hi is possible get a job in Australia?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *